Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

The newest film version just came out and everyone else has been to see it. They have all been talking about things that I don't remember from the book. So I read it again (I have no idea how many times I have read it before). Apparently, repetition has its impact even on my memory, because the things I didn't remember weren't there.

With The Hobbit - the current film, that is - we have the reverse of the issue that many Tolkien fans had with The Lord of the Rings. Much content which some of us considered critical was cut from the three films in order to get them on the screen. Now, instead of compressing three long novels into three films, the makers have elected to add enough content to stretch one novel into three films.

Most have reported that the film is pretty good. I just don't do theaters much, so I will wait for the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment