Saturday, August 4, 2012

Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs

While there were some skeletonized remains here and there in the story, the bones from which the title pun originated were not among them. The bear bones that Boyd found had to go in the stinky autopsy room.

Boyd found them while at a barbecue which Katy had insisted that Tempe attend. All of this led to one of my favorite bits in this entire series. The discovery of putrefying remains effectively shut down the party, and to Katy demanding of her mother why she couldn't just bake cookies like other mothers. I keep telling my children that parents purpose in life is to embarrass their children.

I should quit reporting that I didn't remember much about one of the mysteries that I am rereading. I may remember more after this reading, partly because I do this writing, but more because I often discuss them with my sister who is also rereading. Actually, I consider my poor memory for the details of murder mysteries a gift. Because of it I can reread these stories. It would have spoiled the fun if I had remembered early on that Park is a common Korean name.

No comments:

Post a Comment