Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Shaman: The Star Stone Book One by Christopher Stasheff

It really isn't that I quit reading - that comes in August, but I have fallen back into my habit of having a book at my desk and one on my nightstand and another in the bathroom and my Kindle with another one in my handbag. Definitely has a negative effect on my completion rate.

That fragmentation may also (along with some non-book related circumstances) be affecting my attitude. I am not particularly enjoying either of the other two books (ok, so I exaggerated - my Kindle is tuned to the same book as my desktop) nor did I much care for this one. I'm not going to go into great detail about what I found lacking in this book, because Stasheff is a writer whose work I have always very much enjoyed - so for the time being I am going to assume that other things are fueling a bad attitude and that finding this book rather derivative and clumsy is probably more my issue than a flaw in the book.

I am going to add Stasheff to my "must reread" list and come back in a year or two or --- but I will come back. I enjoyed other series of his far too much to just write him off based on one book. And when I do I am going to actually reread Fletcher Pratt and L. Sprague DeCamp's Incompleat Enchanter series as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment