Monday, December 26, 2011

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

Somebody recommended these to me. I think I remember who it was. I was expecting something rather like the Charlayne Harris "Grave" books. Not exactly. Rather more like Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" stories. Of course, these dead people actually talk to our heroine, who rejoices in the name "Charley Davidson," unlike the dead who seek out Odd. Actually, the ghosts, for lack of a better term, rather remind me of the ghosts in the fluffy books by Sue Ann Jaffarian - chatty and a little vague.

There is definitely more sex than I think strictly necessary in a murder mystery, although as it involves a noncorporeal being maybe it doesn't count? And all the action she is getting doesn't stop her from indulging in ogling every male who comes her way.

The actual murder mystery was a little amorphous, the story was really about letting the reader know who/what Charley is and about her supernatural boyfriend/dream lover. Since we find out who/what he is, I am left wondering how this plays out in a series. So I guess the device works - I will have to buy the next one to find out.

The setting is Albuquerque and seems reasonably accurate, so there are many references to streets and neighborhoods with which I am familiar - not to mention green chile stew (as I recall misspelled "chili" - which as all real New Mexicans know refers to a concoction lacking subtlety and made primarily in Texas - and, incidently, not green). And then there is the character - actually one of the murder victims - named James Barilla - like the brand of pasta. Barela would have been quite acceptable, but Barilla? Really now.

It was fun, I won't resent (too much) reading the second, but it doesn't climb to the top of the charts - at least not my chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment